Wednesday 3 August 2011

Day 61

It has now been 2 months since this whole thing started, strange thing is it seems like so much more. Time has really slowed to a halt when you have nothing to do except wait, its like it almost stands still. What makes it worse is the days are very hot at the moment, there is no way to escape the heat, nothing to help us cool down, except strip down to our underwear. This also poses a problem because we are getting dehydrated quicker which means we are drinking more, not very good when you are trying to ration everything. Steve and I had our first argument last night, being cramped up in these conditions with no entertainment didn't help, that coupled with losing all our loved ones and being thrown into the stone age with barbaric walking dead really puts the cherry on top. I can only put it down to the 'Big Brother Effect.' You know that old TV show where members of the public are all thrown together in a house under constant surveillance, after a while they all end up turning on each other and starting fights over the most trivial things. The only difference here is that there isn't anyone there to stop us and a simple argument can turn deadly, when there are no laws or consequences.
It was all okay though, I drank a bit too much of the Jack Daniels and Steve wanted to save some of it, I didn't hear him and finished it off. Some choice words were swapped between us, no raised voices for obvious reasons, and in the end we started laughing at each other simply because its hard to have a full blown argument while whispering. He was trying to do his shouting voice in a throaty whisper and it just cracked me up, I did the same back to him and he instantly saw the funny side and we just layed down got drunk and played eye spy.
The fun stopped after a while when Steve unexpectedly burst into tears, the booze probably didn't help as it can make people very emotional when they have something on their mind, I assumed it was to do with his parents or girlfriend, yet it was something else. I naturally asked him what was wrong and he started telling me about some family stranded outside his shop. A couple in their mid twenties and their child that looked about five years old. Steve went on to explain how they got cornered by zombies, early on in the outbreak, they had their suitcases with them, so they obviously had somewhere to go. He went on to explain how he was still scared and confused about what was going on, there was no TV in the shop so any news he could get was on the mobile phones in the store. Anyway, he was crying because he filed to do anything to help them, he felt responsible for their deaths as all he had to do was open the door and call them in, they could have made it.
I tried to tell him that by doing that, he would only have alerted the zombies to his position and he too would have been attacked if they managed to break in. Nothing I said to him would make him see sense, even to the point that he would have died too if he opened the shop door to help this family out. Steve had a lot to get off his chest so me butting in wasn't helping so I sat there as a friend and listened to his story, It was very hard not to get sucked in and upset by the story, as Steve had a great way of describing things almost to the point where you could almost visualise them in your head. From what he was saying, both the mother and father tried in vain to fight off the attacking zombies, only to get bitten and pinned to the ground. The woman only stopped screaming when a zombie ripped her throat out with his teeth, tearing her vocal cords in the process. The young boy witnessed the whole ordeal, something no child should ever have to see, Steve said he could clearly see the boy was petrified beyond any waking nightmare, and the boy turned towards Steves shop. It was then that Steve was convinced the boy looked directly into Steves eyes, put his hand out as if to ask for help, but before he could do anything else, was buried by a horde of incoming zombies who collapsed on top of him. The boy let out a muffled scream followed by silence. Soon after the only noise in the air was the sound of flesh being stripped from bones, teeth ripping through organs and the wet noise of blood splattering on the pavement. This horrifying incident has been burned into the back of Steve's mind, after finishing the story, he turned to me, wiped the tears from his face and said "that is the reason I came for you when I did, I wasn't going to sit by and let someone else die when I could help them out." I didn't say anything back, what could I say? I felt that I already owed him my life for rescuing me when he did, now i can understand why he came.
No more words were exchanged, he rolled his head back and drifted off to sleep. I went to the bedroom, stood by the open window to get a nice cool breeze, keeping my eyes out for anymore infected, then i realized that I couldn't hear the distant moans anymore, it was finally the first peaceful night I had heard in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment