Thursday 16 June 2011

Day 14

I cannot believe it has been 2 weeks since this whole disaster started, It doesn't seem to be getting better any time soon. I quietly laugh to myself as today I am supposed to sign on at the Job centre I can even see it from my window, the windows look bashed in so someone obviously had fun. I keep thinking that if I do not sign on I won't get paid, then reality hits and I laugh. Money is useless now, it doesn't hold any worth in this new world we live in. I think the rich learned that fact pretty quickly, finally there was nothing they could buy that would keep them safe.
I read on some Internet news site about how a group of rich guys tried to buy food and shelter from some of the poorer people and pretty much got pushed out into the hungry infected waiting for them. The irony of the story is, that money bought them power, respect and everything they wanted, but since this whole incident broke out, the poor were to a degree unaffected by it. The poor had no money and no luxuries to start with so they/we found it easier to adapt. Most of us have some kind of working trade such as building, medical or farming experience behind us which proved to be more use to the community than a rich banker or IT managing director. It all makes sense when you think about it, these bankers may be good at earning money (for themselves) using computers and generally having a strong workforce beneath them, but can they put up or repair a broken wall? can they grow food, tend wounds or use weapons?
That is why the rich are finding this life harder to survive in, because they're not worth anything to anyone and their bags of money are little more than firewood. I do not have any money and generally get by, but I also don't have anything to offer anyone else either so if I met a group of people and they told me that I had to prove my worth before they would take me in, I have no idea what I could possibly offer them. It doesn't bother me really I have always been someone who keeps to myself, I wouldn't seek refuge with other people, because I don't tend to trust people at the best of times. I have been stabbed in the back by people I call friends, I have been screwed over by power hungry people I called work friends. Trying to make friends or rely on other people while the world has fallen apart is probably worse than before. I find the only person I can trust is myself, if I screw up then it all falls on me. I am too old to deal with the group politics and the fight for domination, in the end they all fall apart and turn on each other and they all become their own worst enemies.

It has been raining I can smell the damp air mixed with blood and decay, its very unpleasant yet something I am starting to get used to. I am now all out of frozen and fridge food, so its ration time. Will try to eat once a day to keep supplies up, I may eat half a jar of peanut butter, would be nice to have it in a sandwich but the bread went mouldy last week. There is a huge bottle of orange juice so using the sink water to go with it. I just keep thinking that when I do finally go out for supplies there won't be anything left. I am too optimistic in thinking I could just walk into Asda or Sainsburys to find all the shelves neatly stacked, full just waiting for me to come and fill my basket. I will concentrate on the small stores and empty houses for my main source of supplies. My shopping list has started to get so long that I worry about how long I will be out. There is a chance that nothing on my list will show up so I need to try and keep track of time and distance. I can see the houses and streets up to a mile away, however with everything I'm faced with, they may as well be a hundred miles away over a river of fire. The Laptop has used 8% of battery power, I have used my allotted time for the day and will log off for the moment, going to keep my brain active and set up a mission plan for when I go out.

1 comment:

  1. Still here we are still trying to find away to get the tank out and not let them in i am starting to see some of he others finaly relise we are in big trouble all this mental and emotional breakdown i can understand but i get by by thinking of it has the world has not really changed there was allways people out there whanting to hurt you or rip you off well they are still trying but why im alive im smarter then them i tell myself but to fair they do have momments of pure brilence like they some how understand that the greater there number the more chance of them getting there dinner i allso live in hope i rethink of past times of something so normal that it puts a smile on my face for a second like waking up and going to the shop for the daily paper the birds singing and that 1 second of me rembering normality gives me the strengh to make the day will let you know how we plan to get the recon tank out of here tommrow.

    ReplyDelete