Saturday 11 June 2011

It happened, oh my god! What have I done? I should have tried harder, I should have called a doctor, tried getting her to some sort of hospital, looked harder on the Internet to see if there had been a cure, but I didn't. For the last 2 days I have been wasting time playing nurse, when I really had no clue what I was doing. She needed more than a wet flannel and some over the counter drugs, she needed real help and I just sat around and wasted her last few hours sitting over her looking helpless. My head is so lost in a sea of endless emotions, I do not even know which one to feel first. I have every single one of them from rage, fear, regret, heartbreak, upset and guilt. None of it has even sunk in yet, I know that the next day is going to be a punishment worse than death. If only there was the slightest chance that I could have done something to prevent this from happening I would have done it.

Everything happened so fast, most of the day she had been asleep, in the rare moments of being conscious she was completely out of it. About an hour ago, she woke up looking very uncomfortable and in pain. She winced at me so I rushed to her side and asked her what was wrong, she didn't seem to make much sense. "My head, the spinning, the spinning." she mumbled. I asked her if she felt like she was drunk and had the feeling that the room was spinning. She said that it wasn't the room that was spinning, it was her head, she kept calling for me, even though I was there holding her hand, she looked right at me, but stared right through me, like I wasn't there, blinded by the illness that had taken over her body. Her skin was now much darker and more bruised looking than before, her lips where dry and chapped. I held her hand, it was freezing cold, but she was sweating, I didn't feel her grip back, then she called for me again.
I told her I was right here holding her hand, I asked her to squeeze back, show me that she had some strength left. Looking around with those blind, grey, dead eyes she told me her whole body was numb, she said she couldn't feel anything, only the splitting pain deep within the center of her head. By now I was brought to tears, I felt completely useless, no matter what I did there was nothing that I could humanly do to save her. She let out a gasp, and went limp, all her life drained out of her in a second. It was at that exact moment that my heart ripped in two. I was kidding myself that I could possibly do anything to bring her back now, a tear ran down my face and I felt my stomach knot tightly, my whole world drained out of me with her. I then decided to take one last picture of the woman I loved, as soon as the camera on my phone made the delayed click before it processed the picture she came back and this is what I captured.


Within a second of her returning, the weakness and suffering from her face completely changed with rage, anger and pure evil. The virus had started its second cycle now it had taken what it needed from her living body. I looked right back into her dead stare, I no longer saw my wife, the woman I loved. She had truly gone in the remaining few seconds I had with her. Robyn was replaced with this monster who saw me as nothing more than something to devour. Everything I learnt from the news and Internet, I knew I was wasting my time trying to reason or stop her. She was filled with a new energy that had been stripped away from her up until now, the sofa had became her deathbed and she was trying to climb out of it to get to me. Knowing what I had to do, I only had one chance to do it or it was too late for me too. I reached back for the maglite we had been using to light our way round the flat at night time, I gripped it tight so tight my knuckles turned white.
I stood over her as she desperately crawled to her feet, I looked into her smokey grey eyes one last time before closing my own, I swung the torch as hard as possible and it made a loud metallic clunk noise as it crashed into her head. I pulled back and took another swing, the second was followed with a low dull crunch noise, I felt the top of her skull crack open like a boiled egg, she fell to the ground motionless, finally at peace. The last of my energy completely vanished from my body and I collapsed in a heap next to her. I saw her leg twitch and shake a few times, finally it stopped and she was gone. I lay there crying, now on my own in this destroyed world, all I kept thinking was I should die with her, but I couldn't possibly kill myself. I could be one of the last surviving people in the world, so giving in wasn't an option, gotta to be strong, live for Robyn tell my story and maybe even survive this nightmare that had plagued our world.  

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your loss man, but you're right, you just gotta keep strong and carry on. I'm an American student and I was in Prague when the virus hit you guys. Took a couple of days to spread this far, but, this city is overrun too.

    You guys still have news I hear, that's lucky though, we have power in some places but not many. Right now me and my roommates from the hostel are huddled in an internet cafe. We're debating where to go next though. I'm saying start heading East, see if we can make it through Russia to that spot where Alaska gets really close ya know? Build a raft and make our way across. I know, it's pretty farfetched, but still, all my family are in the States, I need to make it back there.

    Maybe you should think about leaving, getting the continent or something, more room to hide and run ya know?

    The lights are flickering here and I think Michael wants to leave. Good luck man, if I find another working computer with a net connection I'll keep checking back on your progress.

    ReplyDelete