Monday 13 June 2011

Day 11

It looks like such a nice day outside today. The sun is out, the temperature is pretty high and normally I would be out in a shirt and shorts, driving with the roof down and enjoying the summer heat. Going out there is suicide, unless you have automatic weapons and a plane to a deserted island. I had a look out and noticed a lot more of the infected hanging around, we live in a large town with a population well over 30,000 so the odds of avoiding that many infected is probably impossible. I have studied how they move, none of them seem to have energy or maybe the ability to run, they shuffle along like they are drunk or drugged. It looks pretty easy to walk past them without any problems, they prove to be little threat when they are scattered about on their own. They are very dangerous when in groups, if you get cornered or trapped in a room full of these things it looks doubtful you can get through them without getting bitten.
I fear that walking into town would be a bad idea, its the centre of Stevenage and probably swarming with walking dead. I was woken up by a man screaming far in the distance. You could feel his terror, it was clear as day and sent a shiver down my spine. I didn't attempt to look out the window to see where it came from, that would be another image tattooed into the back of my mind I wouldn't be able to remove, there was nothing I could do to save him anyway. Walking around out there at night time is more dangerous than in the day, he must have assumed they go to sleep at night, but they don't. They wander around endlessly all day and all night, you can just see them easier and further in the day. I'm not going out there until I really need to, I still haven't worked out how I can get out of this building and even more important how to get back inside since they barricaded us all in last week.
I miss the common sounds I used to hear, like car engines, planes people talking and general noises of the living. All I hear now is the wind, the odd distant gunshot or cry out from an unlucky soul, cornered by a group of infected and not forgetting that choir of the dead. They are calling and moaning out into the sky, its hypnotic and disturbing at the same time. The smell is now starting to affect me, the foul putrid stench of death mixed with burning smoke. The hot air is probably making the smell worse, I can't tell if its the bodies of the dead or the bodies of the infected, its not pleasant either way.

I eventually moved Robyn this morning, it took me a while to finally get into gear, the coagulated blood on the floor around her head had dried up, her hair stuck to it as I tried to lift her. I knew that I needed to be careful cleaning it up as it was very contagious. I dragged Robyn down the hall, a small piece of skull fragment fell off, that made me wretch, but I needed to be strong. It was the first time the front door had been unlocked since last week, looking through the peephole to make sure there was nothing on the other side, I finally plucked the courage to open up and peek out. The hallway was silent and clear, not a soul in sight, this was probably a benefit because I didn't want to be seen dragging a body through the hallway, it still hadn't sunk in yet. Robyn was a very heavy dead weight, I had trouble getting her to the stairwell, stopping a few times to catch my breath as I am not exactly the pinnacle of fitness. As soon as we reached the stairwell it was much easier, the slick floor was better than the rough council issue carpet of the corridor. As I dragged her down each step, her head banged hard on the cold concrete floor, I kept feeling that I was hurting her, it still hadn't become apparent to me that she no longer could feel any pain. I took her down to floor 9 it was a nice distance away from my floor so I thought it would be far enough for me not to smell her decompose. I gave her cold rigid head a kiss and made it back up to my flat.
Now I really am on my own, the loneliness started to sink in and I hadn't even recovered from Robyn's death, but there was something that kept nagging in my head, "why did she become infected? How come I haven't caught it?" Robyn hadn't gone out since we tried to go swimming last Sunday, she hadn't been bitten so how did she get ill? I soon realised that the virus must be airborne and it was only a matter of time before I breathed in the deadly viral particles, the way I am feeling at the moment I don't even care.

2 comments:

  1. Well at the crack of dawn three out of us five whent out to reinforce the ruble covered roads and paths we moved cars lorrys anything we could hot wire jump start i found one of them two way radios in a lorry i was moving i took it and put it in the bag when we got back i set it up and put it on auto scan hopefully we can find someone who will broadcast on the emergancy wavelenth sooner rather then later till then its scaning for any airwave traffir anything other then the emergeny broadcasting system is good for us as cant belive that is still playing out we fine tuned it so anyone with a walkie talkie can talk and we will recive it within a 3 mile radios heres to keeping up hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've barricaded ourselves in here. Things have gotten so bad. The nearest town is just a smoke screen of fire. Our village has these lifeless bodies shifting around the streets. We keep the lights out and we dont make any noise at night. They seem to group more at that time. We had a scare when what used to be an old woman now blank and grey in colour tried to get into our house.
    We have a few high power air rifles, but we dont want to chance it and cause noise.

    Make sure your safe. I feel for you, and for robyn. RIP.

    ReplyDelete